valentine-man

What did you American ladies get from your British men on Valentine’s Day?

Posted on February 14, 2011 by yankeebean

We got this comment today about Valentine’s Day gifts and I actually shook my fist at my laptop screen when I read it!!

my husband bought me a cd . . . that he wanted. : ((((((((

yankeebean

Noooooooo!  What ever happened to flowers?  Candles?  CHOCOLATE, for God’s sake!  You can never EVER go wrong with chocolate…

To our sassy commenter, I hope you got him a massage for you for his present…

It made me wonder what all you lovely expat American ladies are getting from your British hunka-hunkas this Valentine’s Day.  Mr Nice Guy and I are making a super fancy dinner together as our present to each other.  Including gin and tonics (our fave) and tiramasu for pudding.  Mmmmm… I’m hungry…

So what did you guys get??  I’m ready to celebrate and/or commiserate with you as required…

1. Kim March 23, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Lovely story. Congratulations on the proposal.

2. SouthernBelle March 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m a little late in posting but b/c mine was so amazing I wanted to share! I was in England visiting a few days after, so we celebrated while I was there. He had gotten me chocolates, a beautiful card (now when I say beautiful I mean it, it wasn’t a typical run of the mill card, this is a handmade masterpiece!) and a new digital camera in my fav color, pink! He also proposed to me on this trip so it was pretty much the best valentines week ever :)

3. Tracy February 27, 2011 at 6:32 am

My fiance sent a dozen red roses to my work, pretty average by American standards, but he was so proud of himself b/c HE HAD NEVER SENT THEM TO ANYONE BEFORE…at age 34!!!! I joke that of course Brits were the ones who popularized Valentines Day back in Victorian times…that way they designate one day out of the year to show love and affection and don’t have to worry about it the other 364!! :)

4. Victoria February 16, 2011 at 8:50 am

We paid for some quality time long distance phone chatting lovey-dovey talk, which is a treat b/c skype for instance isn’t always the best quality.

Is it the normal custom for british men to not splurge so much on jewelry does anyone know? Heard this somewhere before on the net. However I don’t care about the price of what I’ve gotten, am blessed and happy just having a ring on it and the hot sexy intelligent man… just curious. Seems here in USA there’s more focus on the rock, being showy etc.

@Yankeebean – Must, if haven’t already, try the Plymouth brand gin, navy strength and sloe. Divine trio! Tasty

5. LeedsMeNotIntoTemptation February 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

justAmericandesigned–I am so glad I am not the only one who watched The Holiday. Gives me hope about my two charming future English children. x

6. rachael February 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I’m single, but I’ve noticed English men tend to give more thoughtful gifts on Valentines Day than American men. Or perhaps my friends have just had good luck.

7. justAmericandesigned February 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I got these divine chocolates… oh they are amazing! I got a lovely card too… but when it came to our Skype date that night, he fell asleep instead! Oh well. My favorite movie, The Holiday, kept me company instead :) Hope the rest of you ladies had a great Valentine’s Day!

8. Jenny February 15, 2011 at 6:24 am

my poor boy, he tried hard but nothing has worked in his favor lately :) we’re still battling the long-distance thing, and he swears he had some stuff sent to me, unfortunately it hasn’t arrived on time :( I’m slightly disappointed but can’t be mad, as I havent even sent his present yet, lol. Its been riding around in my car with me, just waiting for me to drive somewhere in the vicinity of a post office :) oops!

oh well, we’ll be together again (for real!!) soon enough and can share enough kisses to make up for all the silliness now :P

9. Kim February 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

We’re going to a French restaurant for dinner tonight! I guess if you can’t get to France for the day, the next best thing is to eat the food! :)

10. Annie February 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

My Brit gave me a present of himself. He’s visiting America briefly before I move over there March 18 to live! Oh, and he propped up a lovely card next to the coffee maker this morning so I could find it. Soon to come: Adventures in relocating to Essex!

11. peacefulyorkshire February 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Mr. Chill bought me a bright orange stopwatch as I am into running these days and want to time myself.
    Also, Mimosas served in bed- 7:30am. I was tipsy by 7:51. Nothing like starting the week off with a bit o bubbly. Whoo hoo!