homesick

Emotional Americans in England look no further…

Posted on December 27, 2010 by peacefulyorkshire

Yeah, we know us 3 gals don’t always keep a steady stream of posts, and we will raise our SURE underarms to be the first to know we’ve been sporadic lately. But, our goal of SNFY even after 2 years  is still the same– we’re always trying to connect and help and  our fellow Americans living in England. We joyously came across this letter to us the other day in our in-box. So, if you are an expat yourself and are interested in meetin’ a lurvely sounding  American laydeh in Sheffield, do get in touch and we will forward her your email.

Hi! After the the most frustrating Christmas ever wherein my husband, new baby, and I ended up without anywhere to go for Christmas dinner because my Yorkshire in-laws didn’t want to “impose” by offering an invitation, I Googled “emotional Americans in England” to see if anyone else could validate my bafflement. I was taken to your blog! Hurrah! Anyway, I am a 38 year old American woman married to a Yorkshireman and living in Sheffield. I’ve just had a baby here in Sheffield. Anyway, are there any American women living in Sheffield who want to go for a drink? I am dying for American company! I don’t know anybody here and whenever I am frustrated by English culture, my husband looks at me as though I am insane. I am starting to believe him. I need some American commiseration in a major way. By the way, before I became imprisoned in Yorkshire, I was an international teacher. I have lived in several other countries and never have I felt so “foreign.”

1. tami curtis January 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

jamie, i hope you know there are several american food importer websites that carry a lot of the stuff we miss so much. there seem to be more popping up all the time. i used to go home and bring so much stuff back, now i just order it here, so much easier. if you need some american food site addresses, email me and i will send them over. tlc at tamicurtis.com

2. Ally January 2, 2011 at 12:16 am

Hi! I am SO EXCITED THAT I FOUND THIS WEBSITE!!!!!! I am a 33 year old woman who moved to England (married an English husband in May) from NYC and I can relate to EVERYTHING on this site! I am in Durham and I find England overall very drab compared to America! Who is from York? I am an hour away and would love to get together!!!!!!!!! I agree with Meg would love to make some friends!

3. Meg January 1, 2011 at 1:27 am

D’oh…for e-mail and blog just click my name above in bold. :-)

4. Meg December 31, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I wish I lived closer because my goodness I feel the same way most days! My little boy just turned a year and I’ve lived in the W Midlands since 2008. I’ve done supply teaching since I’m not “qualified” here fully as just an Overseas Trained Teacher (said as if I got my degree in some 3rd world country). I haven’t had any work since I went on Maternity Leave in Nov 09 – which is also when I had to stop driving because I maxed my 12 mos using my US license and now I have to pay money I don’t have to “prove” to the DVLA I can drive! And as much as I love that my husband and sister are so close (we visit them once/twice a weekend), I want FRIENDS!!! I feel so pathetic for feeling so lonely! My husband tries his best to make me feel better, but he just doesn’t understand. I laugh at the word ‘imprisoned’ that some have used because it’s precisely how I feel.

I’d be SO up to at least chatting with fellow Americans, living here in the Midlands or not. There is a direct link to my Facebook (if anyone has it) from my blog page, or I think you can get my e-mail from there. But it would be nice to make 2011 the year of new friends! :-)

5. Rachel December 31, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Oh darlin! I feel your pain. The couple of times I was able to get together with an American friend this past year made all the difference, sometimes to the bafflement of my partner who is from here. I’m quite a ways away down in Norwich, but if you ever need a friendly voice on the phone or a chat over email — feel free to contact me. racheljohnson 77 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove spaces.) In the meantime, Happy New Years to you and your family!

6. Meherleen December 31, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Oh duh didnt leave my email. Meherleen at gmail.

7. Jamie December 31, 2010 at 10:16 am

Oh dear, I forgot to say, I’m quite a ways away from you but feel free to email me. Perhaps we could share a drink over the phone.
    Hugs and happy thoughts!
    (cloverndaff@yahoo.co.uk) -Jamie

8. Jamie December 31, 2010 at 10:07 am

Talk about feeling foreign! A dear friend of mine back in the states sent me a link to this site. She said she was worried about me and thought that ranting with these ladies would perk me up. Well, I must say, my ears have been perked, especially by stories like yours. The thing is, I’m a 47 year old woman who fell for a Welshie, took ”early retirement” from teaching in Kansas City when the US wouldn’t allow my Welshie to stay in the states, and I’ve found myself imprisoned in Wales with no hope for early release.
    Reading this blog I’ve actually felt even more foreign at times so I have to tell you, believe me when I say, that the Welsh are just as British as those in Sheffield and Yorkshire . My partner can’t figure out why I’m like a caged squirrel some days. I miss watching The View with a hot cup of coffee and a smoke at the kitchen table. I miss Kraft Velveeta cheese. I miss Ranch Dressing and real hot dogs that DON’T come in a can. I miss NOT having to be an expert at reading body language and minds. That’s it really. I miss being able to speak my mind and having everyone around me speak their mind without the risk of being seen as Rude. What’s worse, I’m a feeder. I love to feed people. I love to cook. I have the Midwestern hospitality mentality. But here? Well,,,, those qualities are apparently ”not natural”.
    We were invited to my partner’s parents for Christmas. I just love these guys! Wonderful couple they are. Loved in their village and known by all as being very kind and considerate. The kind of people who give to charity, take in stray dogs, water the neighbour’s plants while they’re on holiday. They certainly aren’t the kind of people to be ”forward” and certainly didn’t want to ”put us off of a meal” because it was too large. Our Christmas dinner was NOT what I’d expected at-tall. Half of a carrot, nicely sliced and laid expertly to one side, five brussels sprouts, three walnut sized balls of stuffing baked so that they were actually more like crunchy beef jerky, three ”roasties” (one roastie being half of a small new potatoe) a ”healthy” 3 oz. portion of turkey (dry enough to choke a camel), gravy made with the reduced stock from the carrots and sprouts and some butter (I think) and LOTS of wine. Oh, there was a cheese plate. Always a cheese plate. So if you leave the table hungry it really IS your own fault. I cried on the drive home.
    So, I made my own Christmas dinner yesterday and then laid on the couch belly up, heaved a heavy, stuffed, satisfied sigh and yelled to the ceiling, ”I’m a foreigner!! YAY MEEEE!”

9. sta December 30, 2010 at 2:48 am

Bunny, I feel your pain. I love it here. I would never move back. But it is different, and it is hard. You will go through so many emotions while you adjust while you are here. Any help you need, you let us know.
    I have asked , begged, longed ,for another American these last few years. I know how lonely you feel. It gets better.
    Promise.
    xoxox
    starcatcherlady at gmail. com

10. Meherleen December 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Hello! Im American, living in W Yorkshire, also just had a baby (as in 6 days ago) I feel your pain. My inlaw (mil only) is a Jehovas Witness so no Xmas there either, although my hubby did cook ect and friends came down for boxing day. Feel free to email me, Im not in Sheffield but I’m not super far away either. I feel your pain, I do, I have been here 2 months only and its a far cry from Florida….

11. tami curtis December 28, 2010 at 11:02 am

well i can certainly feel her pain! too bad i am too far away. : (((