Guest bloggers wanted – expats shout out!

Posted on August 6, 2010 by yankeebean

yankeebean

Hello expat-ladies!  The She’s Not From Yorkshire shamericans are looking for guest bloggers.  We want to hear about your experiences about living in another country :)

What to send?  Read on, dear expats…

1. Your hilarious thoughts and / experiences – anything expat-related is fair game
  2. A link to your blog or website if you have one (so we can link to you)
  3. An avatar that we can use with your post (http://uk.avatars.yahoo.com/)
  4. Send it all to yankeebean@shesnotfromyorkshire.com

And that’s it!  Spread the word!  It’s an awesome opportunity to have a rant or a laugh – and a good way for our 10,000 readers to possibly become YOUR 10,000 readers :)

• No Related Posts

1. SJ January 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Hi, I just found your blog, its great.
    I’m American and have been living in Surrey for over 20 years now! And….. I don’t know ANY other Americans here! Really.
    Being American here in the UK is a treat. Even though I have to pay Council Tax, and put drastically overpriced ‘gas’ in my dinky car, I try to pretend that I’m still on the vacation that brought me here a long time ago. It works beautifully.
    I have two almost grown children that, even having grown up with me, can’t do an American accent to save their lives!
    I am blessed to have found myself living here, as much as I miss the good ol’ U S of A.

2. Sarah Bright December 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hi! After the the most frustrating Christmas ever wherein my husband, new baby, and I ended up without anywhere to go for Christmas dinner because my Yorkshire in-laws didn’t want to “impose” by offering an invitation, I Googled “emotional Americans in England” to see if anyone else could validate my bafflement. I was taken to your blog! Hurrah!

Anyway, I am a 38 year old American woman married to a Yorkshireman and living in Sheffield. I’ve just had a baby here in Sheffield.

Anyway, are there any American women living in Sheffield who want to go for a drink? I am dying for American company! I don’t know anybody here and whenever I am frustrated by English culture, my husband looks at me as though I am insane. I am starting to believe him. I need some American commiseration in a major way.

By the way, before I became imprisoned in Yorkshire, I was an international teacher. I have lived in several other countries and never have I felt so “foreign.”

3. Lisa Burrows August 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

I just thought I would add a little story. I am from California, and I have shared a story or two over the years with you, but this one is particularly I find funny (well to me anyways).

I had been living here for about 2 years and had a baby (on the wonderful NHS I might add) a lot of my family came to visit and see the baby. I had, by this time, started to bring my octives a bit lower when my family came over and shouted us all to high heaven.

I took my mom to Salisbury to Waitrose (a nice groc store by British standards). I needed some baby supplies and my mother yelled from across the store that she had found the diapers! OMG, everyone in the store stopped and looked. I was so red faced, the looks we got were devastating, I couldnt wait to get out of the store, my mother didnt even notice what had happened lol.

just a quickie!!!

• peacefulyorkshire August 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi Lisa
      I could so picture myself seeing you in that store with your family shouting about diapers! Hilarious!!
      Would you be willing to share your experiences of having a child with the NHS? ie: The good/bad/unexpected ? Yankeebean and I just last night were chatting about approaching 30 and what it would be like to have our children away from home and in England. We would love to hear your opinions and thoughts in a blog post…??? Just an idea!! :)

4. yankeebean August 6, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Anyone living in England that isn’t originally from England qualifies! Bring it on! :D

5. Bryn August 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Do Canadians living in England qualify?

6. Pingback: Tweets that mention Guest bloggers wanted – expats shout out! -- Topsy.com