Here I was thinking I was all English… until the USA played the UK in the World Cup.

Posted on June 22, 2010 by yankeebean

yankeebean

A lot of my posts over the past year have been about how I’m starting to feel like like I’m half American and half English.  In spite of my American genes, I don’t know what’s going on in the news there, I don’t know what movies are out there or what’s on TV there.  My vocal volume has dropped by at least 30%, I never tip more than 10% and my love for English chocolate has increased by 100%.

I was really starting to settle in to the idea of being English.

Until…

THE WORLD CUP

That’s right… it’s shown me my true colours.  Or maybe I should say ‘colo u rs’, given my recent behavio u r :)

There I was, thinking, “I’m going to enjoy watching the World Cup this year.  I can root for America AND England and it will all be very inclusive and United Nations-y.  Pip Pip, freakin’ awesome to combine the phrases of my people…”

But when they played the American national anthem at the opening of the USA v UK game, I shot to my feet like my Grandpa used to make me when I was a kid.  When a friend of mine started to talk during it I said, “No Talking!  This is important!” – I’m not kidding.  I actually said that.

Prior to the game I’d printed out one American flag and one English flag so that Mr. Nice Guy and I could each root for our teams.  (We had two Canadian friends over and they brought lots of Canadian paraphernalia, too.  We made them promise to break up any fisty-cuffs that broke out between me and my guy.)

My additional patriotism, fashioned from any old name badge clip and a patch I keep hidden in my crochet bag for moral support :)

I printed out those flags as a bit of a fun and for a joke.  But I quickly decided I didn’t have ENOUGH patriotic evidence and scrambled to find my American flag patch, which I fashioned into a badge and wore on my shirt.  Along with my red, white and blue skirt and silver sparkly shoes…

I instantly became 100% American.  I waved my flag.  I cheered for my team.  I kept saying like, “Our goalie is really good” and “We’re looking good out there!” and then realising, as I looked around the room, that there was no one else to be a part of my “our”s and “we”s.

But I didn’t mind.  It felt good to be 100% American again :)

I’m looking forward to the rest of the World Cup!  I’d LOVE it if America won, but I’d also be afraid to walk down the street by myself – only time will tell, eh?

• No Related Posts

1. katieseattle June 28, 2010 at 7:43 pm

@starle
    He took the loss as badly as I feared. But oddly still won’t admit that the USA team is as good as the English one. When I pointed out, ya know, facts: USA scored more goals (both in qualifications and in the tournament), won group C, AND both teams were knocked out in the same round; he got all indignant. “Oh, whatevah dahling. England are a much bettah team, with bettah players, and fittah wives….” I won’t bore you with the details, suffice it to say it went on in this vein for the better part of twenty minutes. Gotta love him!

2. starle June 27, 2010 at 12:41 am

um, the US is out now. God save the Queen!
    (ing-er-land! )
    SNFY will hopefully post after Sunday! :S

3. starle June 24, 2010 at 8:41 pm

@katieseattle
    OMG how funny. and, yes it would be 800 years to a brit! Cue” back in 902 there was a team that…..black out i dontrememberanythingpastcarter ” speech. heck, i dont remember Reagan… Clinton..well i *do*, but not like the Brits remember! (!)
    I managed to teach my kids the “god save the queen song”, with all the US words (rule brits?) and my Dh had a fit. But he has yet to teach us the UK version of America the Wonderbar.
    (topic anyone?)

4. katieseattle June 23, 2010 at 8:22 am

I was so torn! I have never been happier for a draw! I didn’t want England or the USA to win or lose. If England had won I would have to listen to him gloat for the next 800 years, but if the USA had won my guy would have been so sulky and grumpy. The best thing that came out of the game was my darling Brit requested I teach him “The Star Spangled Banner” because “it’s quite a good anthem, that! It’s got loads of emotion.” I was then assured that though good, it wasn’t quite as good as “God Save the Queen”. :P

5. starle June 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

yea! This is my first world cup here and i am loving it. I have given up the phrase ‘soccer is for girls’, and have seen almost all of the matches so far. Shudup, Argentina is doing just fine on the tv behind me. ;)
    I really want England to at least, oh, idunno, win a game here and there. I always cheer for the US tho. Plus, yeah, the song gets to me too.

6. MissChicago June 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for this piece! Personally, I have the pangs of a divided allegiance for this World UP. Though I cheered for Team USA against England, I am now totally anxious that England will not make it past the Group matches — please please please come on England! :)