She is definitely not from Yorkshire: Easter Anybody?

Posted on May 2, 2010 by peacefulyorkshire

Dearest Readers and fellow ‘Shamericans’, may I introduce the radiant ‘Ms. Forensic Spice’. She is a new guest blogger this week that has only moved to Yorkshire from California.

I was in the supermarket today after a good workout and as I was checking out, an interested checker began to chat me up.

“Where are you from? Why did you come to God awful Huddersfield? What are you doing for the Holidays?”

I began to drone the usual answers but then — Wait…What? What Holiday? I suppose I have been so far removed from any remnants of family that I had completely overlooked that Easter is here? Nope, it’s just a dumb checker. PHEW! It’s only “May Day”.

So join me, all ye transplants from afar, in welcoming this strength building exercise – because if you are alone in Yorkshire during this “May Day” weekend, trust me, you are definitely NOT alone!

1. Steve Shawcross May 9, 2010 at 9:39 pm

All the Bank Holidays in the UK… Scotland’s are slightly different from the other three nations…

Hope that helps!

2. starle May 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm

welcome to the Uk hun! Enjoy it here, looking forward to your further observations!
    _starle, exeter

3. Forensic Spice May 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Checker: “What are you doing for the Holiday?”
    Me: “What Holiday?”
    Checker: “You know, Easters this Weekend”
    Me: “um….uh….nothing?”

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention She is definitely not from Yorkshire: Easter Anybody? | She's Not From Yorkshire -- Topsy.com

5. Bryn May 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm

And guess what… there’s another bank holiday in 4 weeks time!

6. phil May 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

just a dumb checker?

7. peacefulyorkshire May 3, 2010 at 11:02 am

I was talking to my dad in America yesterday. He was confused too… ‘Didn’t you just have four days off at Easter?? You are off AGAIN?

Oh the joy of explaining the bank holidays here in the UK… loving it!!