Happy First Birthday, She’s Not From Yorkshire!
Posted on October 31, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire
I remember the night of our She’s Not From Yorkshire blog birth very clearly (Gosh, it was the next morning bit that gave me the headache–must have been our cheap arse wine). Anyway, when us three ladies would get together to eat lots of glorious food (from Betty’s, usually), we would have very similar experiences and thoughts:
- Hey have you paid your USA taxes yet? I know me neither–what form do I use?
- Have you taken your theory test yet for driving??
- What the hell is a WAG, again?
- Have you ever descaled your kettle before– because mine has dandruff in it!
- Yeah, I met this English chick the other day and I swore she looked at me like I was an alien from outta space. I had to look to see if there was a booger on my face afterwards–and sadly there wasn’t!!
- Should I move back home to the USA, or should I stay here and stick out my not-so-hot job to be with my British man?
- Uhh, I can’t believe the Darts Championships are on the tellly again for god’s sake, is your dude watching them too?!!
- Anyone find any good feminist ladies to hang out with because I am tired of talking about Jordan and her boobs…
- Did you send in your presidential vote yet?
- I am so homesick I spent last night crying on the phone with my mom –and then I ate my last packet of oreo’s –I swear I am gaining weight in this country!
It was these conversations that sparked the idea to start an annonymous blog to tell another side of the story–what it’s like to be an American lady in Britian– for us. We decided we were not going to be like a lot of other expat blogs: today I did this- and then I did that- and then I took a picture of this–and oohhh look at this phone box it is red and so English!! oh look at the double decker bus!! Nah. Other expat bloggers were doing that already (and did it so much better than we could anyway!).
Us three ladies are in different locations now, and I am sadly the only one left in Yorkshire. But!! Our blog has grown to be exaclty what we wanted it to be… a form of cheap therapy to go along with our (still) cheap wine. We’ve had lots of great readers (like you) give us great support, so thank you for helping us to become a very successful site!! Ummm, successful to us has meant that we have 9,000 readers a month come visit us. We’re chuffed!
Our aim for the next 12 months will still be the same, to have a place to rant and express what is on our minds, no holds barred.Whew hoo!
Here is to year 2!
Feeling nostalgic? Go on, have a look at our first ever blog post. click here