How do the British celebrate Halloween? One hairdresser gives her opinion

Posted on October 23, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire

peacefulyorkshire

peacefulyorkshire

So tell our lovely readers a bit about yourself?

Ok… my name is Libby, I am 26 years old, grew up in Haxby and have been cutting hair now for 4 years, like. I trained in London at ‘Toni&Guy’ but am glad to be back in Yorkshire where me family is.

Any plans for Halloween, then?

Oh yeah, me mates and I are going down the pubs and whatnot– since its on a Saturday this year York will be busy. Lots of me mates are having fancy dress parties but I told them all that I was going down to York to be with everyone else who is out. Everyone should be out.

And will you wear a costume?

Yeah we are going as Zombie Nurses– me mate Sarah already gots our costume. We will use fish net stockings that are ripped with fake blood. A nurses apron and a hat and I am frizzin my hair out big style.

Wow, that is creative, are all your mates going as Zombie nurses also hairdressers by day?

No, in me crowd we have a solicitor, a driving instructor, oh and me sister is pregnant, did I tell you?! But I don’t tell people I am a hairdresser when I am out, like because everyone wants me to tell them what to do with their hair, I get tired of it. Last week we were out and this bloke wanted to know how to bleach his chest hair. It was right nasty!

Yeah, I can imagine!!

Umm. In your opinion how do you think that the Brits celebrate Halloween?

Well, its gottin more over the years but it used to be more for kids. But now I think that adults are gettin more into it though. Last year I went as a witch and we got loads of attention, like. I wore this huge black hat and yellow neon suit underneath my cape. It was smashing, like. I met me current boyfriend, Charlie, on Halloween, he’s such a sweetie.

And what was he dressed as?

A baby. He had a dummy and all kinds.

Awww…

——

The part where your Shamerican self feels spooked on Halloween? Click here

For more in our ‘Interview Series’ with informative Brits ( pub managers to tennis coaches to Scotsmen!) click here

1. Pingback: English chocolate, candy, and candy bars – a quick translation | She's Not From Yorkshire

2. Dyana October 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm

:) if your guy is anything like mine, he’ll plan the costumes. zombie-pirate-ninjas ahoy!

3. Miss America October 27, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I’m planning on getting one good Halloween in before I go! I guess I’ll just have to bring it over with me for next year! Don’t know how keen the Gent will be on “partner” costumes though… :-)

4. yankeebean October 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Marshmallow fluff!!! A godsend for any vegetarian that likes marshmallows.

Oh man… I want some fluff right now…

5. Dyana October 24, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Oh, and Brockbushes also has marshmallow Fluff, regular, strawberry AND raspberry! Very important to know your Fluff suppliers :)

6. Dyana October 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

:) we went to Brockbrushes in Corbridge, west of Gateshead. Unfortunately we went up the A1 and got stuck in the traffic jam from Durham to Team Valley, but hey.

Got three pumpkins, two for carving, and one small one that I’ve just roasted and mashed to make pie with tomorrow. Also made my partner his first ever roasted pumpkin seeds :) all in all, a rainy, traffic snarled, but good day.

7. Michelloui October 24, 2009 at 11:58 am

Loooove Halloween, the Americans do it so much better than the Brits and yet… I think they’re catching on! Not much of a pumpkin carver myself, but love the excuse to dress up like a sexy witch and walk through London without getting into (too much) trouble! ;)

8. peacefulyorkshire October 24, 2009 at 8:46 am

Oh lala where is this magical place of pumpkins? Sounds fun!!

9. Dyana October 23, 2009 at 9:39 pm

going pumpkin picking tomorrow hoping for both sugar and carving pumpkins. i’m so looking forward to fresh pumpkin pie, roasted pumpkin seeds and having the only lit jack o’ lanterns on the estate!