13 Little Reasons to love Britain

Posted on August 3, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire

• yahooavatar15Best music scene in the world, everything from Nick Drake to George Michael to the Smiths to Florence and the Machine

Like to be inspired more by Britain’s positives? Click here.

Want 13 Reasons to Love America? Click here

1. Marcia May 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

LOL – I feel much better reading this now!! :-)

BTW I heard on the local radio here in Orlando (last week) that Ryan Air will install coin operated toilets on their flights very soon.

I would hate to think what would happen if I had the runs and no coins for the loo!! (LMAO)

2. Carla Young August 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm

YES YES YES! Free birth control pills.
      5 other reasons to love Britain:
      Tesco! – You can buy underwear, purses, chinaware, toys and dinner all at the same place.
      Cheap Mobile Phones – I spend hardly anything to use the phone…hmmm maybe thats because no-one calls me here!
      Primark – Really really cheap cute clothes.
      Cheese and Onion Pasties- Yum! cant live without.
      Food Labeling laws- I love that nutritional info is easy to read, and vegetarian items are clearly marked.
      Ryan Air- Cheap flights to everywhere!

Ok that was six, but I’m enthused right now..

3. Steve Shawcross August 7, 2009 at 9:57 pm

@peacefulyorkshire:

Ah I see, I take your point about sunshine withdrawl. If you grow up in the Mojave, you will be very used to sunshine I’m sure! Sadly nowhere like Death Valley here, I’m afraid.

I suppose the ‘blessing’ of British weather is that is a very mixed bag, something to please everyone– but nothing too extreme. Perhaps where the British get their sense of fair-play from [LOL]

4. Steve Shawcross August 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Yes, that is true about hot-weather here; because we don’t get blazing hot days often (>25C), we do go bonkers: “Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun”, as Noel Coward observed.

The British are getting better at wearing suncream though, as cheap flights abroad (to hotter climes) have become commonplace– so Brits are becoming wise to Ambre Solaire (other brands are available)

5. yankeebean August 6, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Yeah, one of things I’ve noticed about the average weather here is that, when a sunny day does hit, people go CRAZY… and then everyone walks around bright red for a week.

Even I’m starting to do it… nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

6. Steve Shawcross August 6, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I once saw the archtetypal white Tranny van, with “clean me” daubed on it. Somebody (presumably the owner) had added: “*You* clean me”!

That’s the one thing I would definitely miss about the UK, if I moved abroad… everybody takes life way too seriously in comparsion to us Brits (with the exception of Daily Mail readers, the sort that get outraged by “pensioners crossing” signs ;-) ). Irony is like our kettles in the UK, always bubbling away in the corner and ready to be used at a moment’s notice.

Worst weather forecasts in world [LMAO]? We wouldn’t have the beautiful countryside that we do, without our weather. Least it’s changeable… if you don’t like what it’s doing outside, it soon changes :-)

I personally don’t see what’s so bad about our weather, apart from we don’t get much of it :-) The reason of weather forecasters are so cheerful, is that we have temperate climate and we don’t have to endure hurricanes, monsoons, droughts, proper icestorms/blizzards or destructive hailstones and tornadoes! ;-)

• peacefulyorkshire August 6, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Hi Steve,
        I was born in the desert so therefore have a problem with the weather at times, Maybe you would have to be born under the glorious sunshine to understand…! Maybe this post will help you see it from a native Southwestern American gal: Life in Yorkshire, needing the sunshine like a druggie needs cocaine
        I agree with you that yes, England is gorgeous with the greenery and you know, there is nothing as magical as a sunny summers day here.

7. Redlilocks August 4, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Awww love it! I need to add another – the British wit is second to none. Seeing work vans with ‘Also available in white’ or ‘I wish my wife was this dirty’ scrawled in the dirt is far funnier than ‘Clean Me’ – and I nearly wrecked my car with laughter when I saw the ‘wife’ one on my journey to work with (in a different handwriting) scrawled beneath, ‘Oh but mate she is’ So wrong but so funny…

• peacefulyorkshire August 5, 2009 at 3:41 pm

That IS funny!! I haven’t had the pleasure of that sight on a white van yet, but yes, that is def another reason to love England… the wit can not be beat…
        Thanks for sharing!