My English Man attends Non-profit Networking and meets a Pet Psychic

Posted on July 27, 2009 by pacificyorkshirebird

avt_kapyork_large115I’m guessing most of you ladies already know this: When you bring your British man to America, his accent attracts attention from all kinds of interesting people.

I brought my lovely British husband to Non-Profit Networking night as part of our job search.  Immediately, I got stuck talking to an angry lady who wanted to discuss the health care system in America.  Meanwhile Mr. Charismatic was talking to someone else and I was convinced he’d found a dynamic and interesting career professional with great connections.  Turns out, no – this woman is  pet pyschic trying to promote her business.  Pet psychic… really?

Back in Britain, I remember being asked about the perception that Americans are crazy for their pets.  Me?  Not so much.  But a typical card shop does tend to carry gretting cards from the dog, for the dog, for the loss of a pet etc… so perhaps we are a little.  What do you think?

That reminds me – in a  great little place called Friday Harbor located in the San Juan Islands there is a doggy daycare that actually takes dogs on field trips using their Downtown Dog bus.  It is pretty cute to see the bus driving around town with all the doggies in the windows.  Click on the link to see what I mean.

1. pacificyorkshirebird July 29, 2009 at 1:51 am

Hi Jessica – Wow, thanks! It was great to read a little bit more about your service. We loved seeing the bus driving through town during our recent visit to Friday Harbor and have heard just wonderful things about your dog daycare service in general. Keep up the good work!

2. Jessica Ray, CPDT July 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Hi there, thank you all for your dog daycare comments. It helps me to better understand what people and their dogs need to be healthy and happy. Our daycare program focuses on exercise and training. The bus is just the transportation we use to get us out to the swimming lake and open grass land. It is very cute to see happy dogs in each window – that was a bonus. Our playing field is a former cattle ranch that is fenced. The dogs are supervised as they interact with each other, run, play, hike and swim. It is unfortunate that there are not more services like this in the cities. It is crucial to a dog’s welfare to get outdoors and have some fun! If you are curious about my operation, I welcome your questions and comments.

3. pacificyorkshirebird July 28, 2009 at 6:34 am

Thanks everybody!

Peacefulyorkshire – I totally agree, doggy daycare is way over the top but we know someone who LOVES that service and uses it a couple of times per week for her doggies.

Jennifer – You are SO right, that everyone at the networking event was a job-seeker. We keep at it though and we are staying really positive. :)

Iota – I have to say I have seen similar things with people keeping dogs indoors all day long. I also thought the dogs in Britain were more likely to be well behaved without a lead.

4. Iota July 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm

There do seem to be a lot of dogs around, and a lot of people who treat them like children rather than animals.

I feel sorry for a lot of the dogs here (don’t know if typical of US in general), as they live very indoor lives. The owners seem to have little concept of the importance of exercise, and even big dogs are kept inside all day, every day. Some dogs are NEVER walked at all. I’ve even heard of dogs being on anti-depressants, on the basis that they must be unhappy because they bark all day long. Strikes me that most dogs, cooped up all day alone and with no opportunity for a run, would be pretty unhappy, but I would suggest a different conclusion.

But as I say, my experience might not be typical. I live in a city which isn’t very well provided with parks and open spaces, and the weather is too hot or too cold for pleasant walking for several weeks of the year. But I do feel sorry for my local dogs!

5. Jennifer July 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Wow I go to a lot of networking events since I am in the communications business and have heard some VERY crazy careers choices. I would love to own a pet daycare and that bus is incredible. Since the economy is the pits right now its hard to go to a networking event because everyone has the same thought in mind but I bet most are looking for work too! If you are talented and can work independently check our Elance and bid on jobs to do from home and virtual assistances is a HUGE field now for the convenience of having someone to work for you but not having the overheads.
    Good luck in your job search
    ~Jenn

6. peacefulyorkshire July 27, 2009 at 9:27 am

I am so not surprised that in such a short time of being in America your new hubby has already met a pet psychic! Hilarious!
    Was really impressed to see the Doggy Daycare bus but I did
    find it a bit over the top! Nevertheless, you are right, it looks really cute. I am all for happy pets and animal rights, though, so why not …!

Maybe if I had a pet I would feel differently about it and pay the tons of money for them to have that experience. (but then again, maybe not!)