Elevenses! Woohoo!

Posted on July 23, 2009 by yankeebean

yankeebeanAccording to Wikipedia:

In the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth realms, elevenses is a snack that is similar to afternoon tea, but eaten in the morning.  It is generally less savoury than brunch, and might consist of some cake or biscuits with a cup of tea. The name refers to the time of day that it is taken: around 11 am.

According to me:

Freakin’ awesome!

Seriously, people  - how did we cope in America without Elevenses!?!  Ok, ok, I can hear you speaking to me through the blogosphere – We do have elevenses in America.  But we don’t call it elevenses and it’s just not the same.

In the States I seem to remember doughnuts, Starbucks or Entenmann’s being involved, and coffee… always coffee.  There’s a lot of good things on that list.  Good, tasty, artery-clogging things.

But there’s something gorgeous about a cup of tea and one single biscuit (ok, 2… cheeky).  And if you manage to wangle the jammy dodger out of the biscuit selection then SCORE, baby!!!

Points to England for inventing the most descriptive word for the occassion.  Half a point lost for not having a grocery store that sells Entenmann’s near my house right now, though…

1. pacificyorkshirebird July 28, 2009 at 6:46 am

I also clock watch for 11AM (and sometimes 3PM) – but I always feel slight twinges of guilty when I still want my lunch at noon even though I had my tea an hour earlier.

This is actually one of my biggest worries about readjusting to work in America. The infrastructure for tea breaks just doesn’t exist. Even finding readily available hot water worries me. Priorities! :)

2. Wasamerican July 26, 2009 at 3:15 am

Hurrah for elevenses, I live for my cup of English Breakfast tea and two jammy dodgers (you got that right, Yankeebean), and boo to the scrooges who dont indulge!

3. peacefulyorkshire July 24, 2009 at 9:36 am

How can anyone *not* love Elevenses? As if we are only on this planet to be always productive in our workplace. As if! ;)

A paid tea break is worked into my teaching timetable by my employer. Its a given and oh so welcome. Score!

4. smitten by britain July 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I’ve practiced Elevenses for years. And now nutritionist say that the Brits were on to something. Eating more and smaller meals during the day is the way to go.

5. yankeebean July 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I actually clock-watch leading up to 11 and dash away from my desk as soon as the bell tolls.

3 cheers for Elevenses!

6. Almost American July 23, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Lunch tends to be later in the UK. Elevenses doesn’t work so well when lunch is at 12 the way it is for most people over here. Then again, a coffee or tea and a biscuit or two is still less filling than donuts or Danish with your coffee.

7. Iota July 23, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Ah, well, it’s proven that you’re more efficient if you have breaks. That’s how we justify them (and actually I think it’s true).

8. notfromaroundhere July 23, 2009 at 11:12 am

I would not get any work done if I took as much time away from my desk for tea (morning AND afternoon) and for lunch as the locals do. I have no idea how they do it and remain gainfully employed.