Back in America, people forget to make teas and coffees

Posted on June 19, 2009 by pacificyorkshirebird

avt_kapyork_large115Not long ago I was posting about what a waste of time it was to ask each of my colleagues if they wanted a cup of tea or coffee.   If I wanted a cup of tea I could spend 30 seconds making one, or I could make a hot drink for everyone in the office and walk the drinks slowly over to them without spilling.  By the time I got back to working I had forgotten completely what I was doing before.

Anyways, I did grow to appreciate offering tea/coffee to any guests or visitors to my home.  And I loved when visiting others I was sure to get a cup of tea to warm me up.  In fact, I learned that the warming tea was a great way to feel more comfortable because I used to leave my coat on when visiting others because I am pretty much always cold and British people thought it strange indeed.  What can I say, I never learned that people want you to remove your outer layer upon entering their home.  Whatever, thank goodness for hot tea.

So I was sitting at a relative’s house in my American home city and was there for over an hour and never once was offered a drink.  It was so strange.  The seven other American women didn’t seem to mind.  None of them were fidgeting because they had nothing in their hands.  But I was sitting there preoccupied that my relative must have run out of coffee because I couldn’t even smell any brewing in the kitchen.  Not that I wanted coffee, I wanted tea.  But it wouldn’t have been the same anyways.

Mr. Charismatic’s family arrive tomorrow for our wedding.  I bought them an electric kettle to use for the 2 weeks they are around and  plan to go round to theirs and drink tea with them often.  This will be one of the pleasures I look forward to when we come back to visit Britain.  Maybe it will be my British “Chipotle”.  mmmm

ps. I haven’t yet been to Chipotle and I’ve been here almost 4 weeks!  Its funny that when there is no sense of urgency to satisfy my American food cravings, I don’t even bother.   Perhaps if I wasn’t a little worried about fitting into my wedding dress perfectly I would have had a big yummy burrito by now.

1. LadyinRed October 8, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Hi! I would just like to start off by saying that I adore this site! I only recently discovered it, but I have been silently lurking and reading all the posts.
    I am an American and have managed to fall head-over-heels for a British man. Like yankeebean, we met when I was 16 (17 now). We met on a cruise in the Caribbean and have kept in touch since.
    I am going to visit him at some point in the near future, possibly within the next month. I know for at least part of the time that I will be in England, I will be staying with his family.
    I was curious, as I’ve only had minimal exposure to the British culture (and research only goes so far), what would to expect. Should I bring a gift? A bottle of wine perhaps to thank them for their hospitality? Should I really lug a hairdryer or is it appropriate to ask to borrow one from his mom/sister? Things such as this.
    Any tips are greatly appreciated, and congratulations on the success of your blog! It is not only incredibly informative, but terribly witty!
    Thank you in advance for any responses!

• yankeebean October 10, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hi LadyInRed

Thanks for stopping by and a very warm welcome to the unofficial Expat / Shamerican club!

A bottle of wine is a great idea, I know my lovely Brit-in-laws would appreciate it. Fancy biscuits always go down well, too. If there’s something traditional that comes from the area in America where you live, try bringing that (as long as it’s not something impossible like cheesecake :) )

A definitely borrow a hair dryer, lugging that action is heinous. Plus, I always feel like my American appliances are going to explode in my hand when I use them here because they’re used to American electricity which is only half as powerful. (Excuse my lame explanation of the electricity difference, I don’t know how it works other than that the US runs at 110 and the UK runs at 220. 110 and 220 what? I have no idea…)

Other than that, just be your lovely self! And don’t be afraid to ask your crumpet if there are any particular subjects you should avoid to keep things running smoothly. My in-laws are the very definition of conservative traditional Brits, so I hammered Mr. Nice Guy with questions about ‘should’ and ‘should nots’ before I met his parents.

2. Kneazle1 September 9, 2009 at 9:27 am

Sorry just have to ask, how do you pronounce Chipotle? I’m heading over to the States in November for two weeks, to St Louis MO and it’s on my list of things to try!

• peacefulyorkshire September 9, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Hi kneazle1
      That would be Chip-ole-tay– I am already jealous you will be enjoying one of their burritos… sigh…. ;)

3. yankeebean June 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I totally know what you mean… usually when I’m in the States people ask if I want a Diet Coke instead of a cup of tea, but that might just be my peeps :)

4. pacificyorkshirebird June 21, 2009 at 6:41 am

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. :)

Hi Christine, welcome to our blog and great question! Here are 3 links about changes that happened to us 3 ladies at pretty much the exact same time. Should provide the background of our current situation. Also, that is a good reminder that I need to update my section on the About page.

My news: http://shesnotfromyorkshire.com/2009/03/24/i-miss-usps-international-ground-shipping/

Peaceful’s news: http://shesnotfromyorkshire.com/2009/03/23/when-american-expats-in-britain-choose-activation-over-stagnation/

Yankeebean’s news: http://shesnotfromyorkshire.com/2009/03/21/i-dont-live-in-yorkshire-anymore/

5. Christine June 20, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I am new to reading this blog so forgive me as I have not yet had a chance to go thru all of the old dates… are you moving to the US for good? What made you guys decide to settle over there? Feel welcome to post a link if you discussed this previously.. just interested. :)

6. Iota June 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I found it so strange at first to be sitting talking to someone in their home without a drink in my hand. Just felt odd.

7. peacefulyorkshire June 19, 2009 at 8:40 am

I think that if I were moving back to America, I would feel weird not being offered a cup of tea or coffee too. I didn’t feel that way though before I moved to England.
    The thing is no one can make a cuppa tea like the Brits. Americans offering it could never compete!

Good thing your future in laws will be there soon to sort out your tea needs haha.
    I was LOL when you thought your hosts had run out of coffee…!!