A blond walks into a post office…
Posted on June 10, 2009 by pacificyorkshirebird
Hello Readers! I’ve been back in the US two weeks now. This is about the time I would normally be packing my suitcase and getting on the plane to return to the UK. But I’m staying this time. Mr. Charismatic is here too – they let him in with his shiny new immigration visa.
Here are a few of our US based anecdotes:
1. On my very first day I went to the local post office (to get some Simpsons stamps for a friend back in England). One of the customers was sending something to Canada and just couldn’t resist making Canadian jokes… jeez.
2. My second day back I was standing 3 feet away from someone in a grocery store and she actually moved to get out of my way! Can you imagine? It is actually a little eerie sometimes how uncrowded places are.
3. On the other hand, Mr. Charismatic’s pet peeve about lackidasical people who step out in front of you without noticing you has been irritated several times. In parking lots people have just opened their car doors not even noticing we were just about to walk past them. Other times, people will come from around a corner and just walk slowly in front of us and taking up the wide sidewalk not even knowing we are behind them.
4. Smoking seems to be on the increase in the Pacific NW. Who knew?
5. Several independent shops have displayed ”Recession hours” on their doors.
6. My American accent was back in full swing within the first week of being back. But there are still irritating words or ways of saying things that I overhear every once in a while.
7. Ranch dressing is so much better than I remembered!