costco

Costco in England, an American confession

Posted on May 31, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire

yahooavatar15Don’t think I am not embarrassed about this lil’ post. I am. I take pride in my anti-consumerism, bulk buying stance. “No need to hoard” has always been a motto of mine. Well, if your fridge was the size of a shoe box you would need that motto too. But I know secretly I am as materialistic as anyone other average joe, which is why I need to tell you something:

I love going to Costco in Leeds. I look forward to pushing my oversize cart (wait, I mean trolley) through the  wide aisles stacked to the ceiling with American products. And bulk-sized American products, in the UK at that!! Get your Krusteaz pancake mix, your family size 560 count Oreos, your 4 gallons of Grade A maple syrup. It is all there waiting for you! Craving some donuts? Well you better be off Weight Watchers because darlin’, you’ll have to buy 24! My imported Oprah magazine is 20% off, I can buy a ready-made pizza the size of my coffee table, and you can sample Gatorade to your mouth’s desire. But guess what? The ironic thing is when I am there I don’t feel the need to buy any of it  (except the donuts -ha!). Somehow, when I know where I can get a taste of America my desire for Root beer disappears. Ironic.

Now, there are all kinds of ways to beat homesickness, but may I suggest a trip to your local Costco? You would be surprised about how comforting it feels…

1. peacefulyorkshire September 5, 2010 at 6:15 am

Hi masha
    No you don’t have to be a business to be a member as far as I know. The queues on the weekend are really long to get a membership, I would suggest going in the week if you would like to join! Just a lil’ tip.

2. Pingback: A British man looking for American lady in Yorkshire… | She's Not From Yorkshire

3. Masha March 7, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Hey! Did anyone have problems getting membership at Costco in the UK? I was so pleased to see this post saying that they had them here (moved here about 4 months ago, had no idea!!)…my mom had a membership back home and we would use that, but I looked at the Costco web site and they seem to want you to be a business owner or something…..any tips???

4. peacefulyorkshire October 12, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Hi Meg and Michelle
    Just to let you know that I finally remembered to look at the dill pickle situation at Costco this weekend. Well— I am sorry to say that there were no dills there I am afraid ;(
    On the bright side of things, how bout some of them pickled eggs!! ?? Kidding. just kidding.

5. Pingback: 13 Little Reasons to love Britain | She's Not From Yorkshire

6. susie August 16, 2009 at 7:02 pm

HI
    I’m totally considering costco- i spend way too much at stateside candy co!
    Do you know if they do ziploc zipper bags?
    You should work for them in customer services with all these questions!

• peacefulyorkshire August 16, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Hi there Susie!! I know I know i should get a commission for promoting Costco…
      oh yeah they sure do have ziplocks here in the UK… in bulk boxes of like 48 or something though…;)

7. Michelle August 1, 2009 at 10:20 am

I just returned from a long visit to the US and ate truck loads of dill pickles – because you can’t get them them here. So I’d also be interested in know if Coscto is selling them!! (I live 2 hours from the nearest store) Thanks!!!

8. peacefulyorkshire June 10, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I went and had a look at Costco again for your questions ladies (oh the research work I have to do! ;) .

Teri- Sadly, there was no “Hidden Valley Ranch” There was however “Johnny’s Ranch dressing”. It looked a little dodgy. There was also Wishbone “Italian” by the vat loads. I never understood what was so Italian about it!?

to ‘I love this blog’-Oh yes, lots of samples, when i was last there they were sampling ready made lasagna and red wine. Score.

Stephanie–No there was no Mac and Cheese by Kraft… but guess what they did have?? Fruit by the Foot? No surprise didn’t look like one had been sold!

9. pacificyorkshirebird June 10, 2009 at 6:00 am

I can’t believe I never made it to a Costco in Britain. I really wish we had a similar blog when the three of us first moved there!

10. Stephanie June 3, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Really curious to know if they sell Mac and cheese there? Kraft or Velveeta?

11. Teri June 3, 2009 at 1:49 am

And ranch dressing?

Oh, please tell me there are vats upon vats of Hidden Valley. Every time I find myself alone among a sea of salad cream and balsamic vinagrette at Tesco, the chorus to You Don’t Know What You’ve Got (Til It’s Gone) plays on repeat in my head…

12. Meg June 2, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Wait! Do they have DILL pickles?! More specifically…Vlassic??

I think I may be in desperate need! :-P

13. Laura June 2, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Wow, they have Costco in England. I -always- go when I visit my parents in California, but there is no Costco in Germany yet… I actually don’t think I would have room to store the mass quantities (both fridge and other storage very minimal).

nice blog! I’m at baroquebabies.com, come over and say hello when you have a chance!

14. Cinda June 2, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Too funny, my english beau took me to Cosco and pointed out all the American stuff and we didn’t buy a thing…

15. Michelloui June 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm

OMG! I can so relate to this! The first time I trailed behind a friend at the Costco at Lakeside I was amazed, thrilled, deliriously excited! AMerican products! Here! For ME! So what shall I load in the trolley… hmm… um. No. Actually I don’t want any of it. Maybe some dill pickles. But not that many (giant barrel-o-pickles?). Ugh. It was a useful exercise which helped wean me off some cravings.

16. yankeebean June 1, 2009 at 7:54 pm

We are SO there when we come and visit in June!!!

17. Kristy May 31, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I go to the Costco in Reading and enjoy the big buckets of red vines and the massive bags of mini hershey chocolate bars.

My husband says going to Costco is just like crossing the Atlantic!

18. I Love This Blog! May 31, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Haha! Do they also have the little food sampling tables?