How do the British celebrate Easter? One English pub manager gives his opinion.

Posted on April 10, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire

yahooavatar15Tell our She’s Not from Yorkshire readers about yourself:

My name is Rodders and I am the pub manager here at this pub, age 39. I am a Man city supporter, umm, I am not sure what else to say, like.  I have 1 kid named Sophie and it will be the first Easter that she will be aware of what’s going on so I will be looking forward to that. This time of the year is great for my pub as people have 4 days of consistent drinking ahead.

What is a popular Easter drink then since you run a pub?

Just the usual really, pints.

So, how do the Brits celebrate Easter in general?

We give each other Easter eggs. Eat lots of chocolate, best of all Easter also starts the British summertime. We have 4 days off, its a lot of laughter, everyone is happier, so it feels a positive time. Everyone goes on day trips, ice cream vans are back out…. it s a good time of year. There is also a lot of flowers blooming everywhere. This time of year is probably the prettiest time of year in Britain. Its more about the natural season then any religious holiday. But thanks to the religious aspect part of it we get 4 days off to enjoy it.

Yeah, the four day off thing is fantastic. So, what have you done to celebrate this year?

So far I haven’t done anything.

Do you have any plans then?

Yes, I am going to buy my little girl an Easter egg .

There are only 104 different kinds to choose from last time I went to Tesco’s– gosh, now there are even organic ones, fair-trade ones, luxury one’s at twice the price–

(laughs) Think that I’ll just buy her the biggest one, no doubt like (laughs some more)

Some of our American readers might not know what the “easter egg” thing is since we do more selling of pre-made baskets in the states.

Its a chocolate egg the size of an adult hand. They come wrapped in a purple foil. Or gold too. Inside there is a toy or more chocolates. My favourite is the Minstrel egg. Everyone used to stayed clear of Revels Easter eggs because all the kids hated the coffee flavoured one.

What are some British traditional Easter foods?

Hot cross buns, Simnel cake, spring lamb. I like hot cross buns more than Easter eggs, they’re more savoury. (He then starts singing the theme song to Hot Cross Buns jokingly)

In America there are lots of easter egg hunts, would you say Brits do the same thing?

And the Easter bunny? Does he make an appearance?

Not like that American twat bunny you see (laughs) The American ones are everywhere over there. Its more about the bunny then it is Jesus in America! The Easter bunny thing arrived when I was older, probably from America. I always wondered why its an Easter bunny that brings eggs? Wouldn’t it make sense to have a chocolate chicken that laid chocolate eggs?

Britain doesn’t seem very “Jesus” orientated either.

No, its not, my parents go to church but I don’t. I used to have to get all dressed up when I was little for the Easter meal and church, I hated that.

Anything else that you would like to say about how the Brits celebrate Easter?

Everyone forgets to put suntan lotion on if its warm and comes back with red faces. People drink too much beer and come back to work Tuesday with a hang-over. Dads spend half of the day trying to steal the kids chocolate (laughs)

Thanks for the interview and enlightening me.

1. peacefulyorkshire March 30, 2010 at 9:38 am

Erm, Claire, just like that… ‘Happy Easter’.

2. claire March 30, 2010 at 2:51 am

can you tell me how to say happy easter in england

3. peacefulyorkshire April 21, 2009 at 9:26 am

HI Strop,
    There is nothing as beautiful as Betty’s tearooms during Easter, is there. Have you seen the gargantuan chocolate Eggs they do? Readers, they do these huge huge eggs the size of a chair all covered with icing flowers… ok they cost about a squillion quid but they are beauttiful…

4. Strop April 16, 2009 at 3:13 pm

You can buy chocolate chickens from Betty’s, but I can’t find a picture of one online. I covet one, but as they are rather more expensive than your average egg I have yet to receive one from m’husband.

5. peacefulyorkshire April 16, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I wonder why the Cadbury’s recipe is different. Would the USA one be sweeter? Hmmm…

I read in the times that Britian consumes 80 million of those chocolate easter eggs every year. This is amazing considering there are around 61 million people in Britain (well, according to the Independant)…. that means more then one a person!!
    On a side note I am still working my way through my ‘After Eight’ Easter egg the size of my head.

6. Rachel April 13, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Excellent post, ladies! My English beau was over visiting me Stateside this Easter and he experienced his first Easter Basket. I have one fascinating bit of trivia for you. Did you know that the recipe for Cadbury’s creme eggs is different in the UK than in the US? We went to a local specialty candy shop and learned all about the differences. Needless to say we had to taste both to prove it to ourselves. Yum!

7. Sukey April 13, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Why eggs instead of bunnies at Easter? Because eggs traditionally represent re-birth, while bunnies represent shagging!

8. Smitten by Britain April 13, 2009 at 12:57 am

Hi Ladies,

Loved this post. I read the reply about the American Easter Bunny bringing eggs instead of a chicken to my husband and his reply was “It’s supposed to be mysterious.” LMAO!Whatever.

I was referred to your blog by another bloggy friend so thought I would stop in and say hello. I’m American too and lived in England twenty years ago and married a Brit (now divorced) so I can relate to your blog very well. I’ve always loved England and even after leaving I was never able to get it out of my system, hence my blog. Stop by sometime and see what British Easter traditions I’ve been up to. Well done and keep up the good work.

Melissa

9. adrienne April 12, 2009 at 4:57 pm

It was the Germans who started the Easter bunny tradition not the Americans, but I’m still not sure why. A chicken would make much more sense.

10. Denise at Uniquely Tea April 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Happy Easter ladies! I just came across your blog – love it, and will spend more time this week reading through it. I *was* an American Ex-Pat living in England (London) but my Tall & Handsome English husband and I moved back to America (South Carolina) about 4.5 years ago. I miss England terribly and we often talk about returning but just can’t quite seem to get it all together. Cash, that is. I love the concept of your blog with the 3 of you, and am going to share your url with a few of my Anglophile American ex-pats over this side of the pond. Cheers! Denise

11. Michelloui April 11, 2009 at 10:39 am

I was smiling all the way through this interview. the other day I was in tescos and I saw a little foil covered rabbit and I thought, ‘rabbits are such a neat idea, they should do more of them instead of boring old eggs,’ as if it were an original thought. then it occurred to me that I had been here so long that I forgot that rabbits are the chocolate mascot of Easter in the States. They still are, right?

And only just now starting to sort of enjoy Hot Cross Buns.

Good blog, ladies!

xM

12. kenandbelly April 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm

This explains a LOT. Thanks! I have a post up today myself trying to articulate some of what has me mystified. The whole 4 days off to go to the pub moreso than to church had me for a loop today.

13. yankeebean April 26, 2009 at 9:55 am

Sukey

Hahahahaha!!! This is both awesome and hilarious :)