Feeling homesick? American tourists might be your answer.

Posted on February 17, 2009 by peacefulyorkshire

yahooavatar15 There is no rhyme or reason, it just happens. Some days I wake up extremely homesick. Today, lovely readers, was one of those days.

Starbucks in one hand, plopping myself in front of the York Minster I sat staring at its Gothic spires. I needed space, time to clear my head of my negative fog.

As I was finishing the hot chocolate with extra whipped cream I heard those all-familiar voices like a much needed hug– American Accents! Here was the conversation between two American men that put me back into reality.

-Hey Tom, whats that church over there?

-Lets see, let’s look at my guide book…that there is the York Min-i-uh-steer.

-Oh, that looks purdy old. Should we take a picture of it?

-Nah, let’s get lunch!

(And then off they walked!)

It didn’t stop my homesickness, but their words sure helped me realise that I am living in such a different world then these American tourists! I came to the conclusion that I am not such an outsider afterall. Overhearing their conversation made me really grateful to be in the gorgeous city of York, in front of such a beautiful masterpiece.

1. Pingback: When you feel embarrassed (and then guilty) about other fellow Americans in Britain | She's Not From Yorkshire

2. Pingback: American Women’s Clubs in Britain: Do they just eat cake? | She's Not From Yorkshire

3. Pingback: A Reader in London Ponders a Return Back to her Native Texas « She’s not from Yorkshire…

4. Peter Bond March 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I moved to England 29 years ago and I enjoy chatting to the occasional tourists I meet in London. It does remind that I am not quite as American as I once was.

Near an office I work in sometimes there is a building where study abroad students from America live, and overhearing them makes me feel very old and as you say very “Brit-ified”.

5. peacefulyorkshire February 26, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I’ve been shy to stop and talk to other Americans on the street and I am not sure exactly why. Reading you comment above I am thinking that I should start challenging myself to be more open to that idea– you never know who you could meet, right? Maybe you!

6. It was just the American in me..... February 26, 2009 at 10:19 am

Please, please…. if you hear my American accent… say something to me as we pass at a shop or on the streets of York….

7. pacificyorkshirebird February 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I can’t stop myself from asking someone where they are from when I hear the accent. It is like I am obligated to ask. Then we chat for 2 minutes and part ways. It makes me sad that sometimes the tourists don’t recognise me as American (or even Canadian), they don’t always notice a fellow American when they hear me.

8. peacefulyorkshire February 20, 2009 at 4:37 pm

hi Rod– Thanks for joining us on our blog!I know exactly what you mean about being removed from the American persona!
    Being in the UK for a while one tends to get a little bit more “Brit-ified” and even though you are still American, well, what makes it hard is that you have changed from when you actually *lived* in America. So, when you run into American tourists, sometimes its hard to relate… for both parties…
    Oh no, don’t get us started on relocation issues, our whole blog is about this! ;)

Iota and Kristy–
    It really felt GREAT to read your comments about how beautiful York is, thanks! Sometimes when you are living in such a quaint little place with so many tourists it gets old really– fast!

9. Rod February 19, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Ha, yeah… thanks for the invite to the blog!
    I always feel tempted to start up a conversation when I run across American tourists. But I sorta feel a bit removed from the American persona.

10. Iota February 18, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Yes, I’m envious of you in York too. Husband nearly got a job there – but didn’t, which is how we ended up in the Midwest. Just sayin’.

11. Kristy February 17, 2009 at 8:29 pm

I’m so envious you live in York. It’s one of my favorite places in England (coming in only second to Bath). I’m an American living near Oxford. The American tourists there always help ease my homesickness as well. It always reminds me how lucky I am that I’m not just a tourist, but I actually get to live in such an increadible place.

12. peacefulyorkshire March 9, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yes, peter, you’ve hit “the nail on the head”.
    I think that is exactly what it is– its the feeling that you are not as “American” as you once were. That feeling can be just as hard as being as homesick too, can’t it?