Wanna make friends in England? Get a pair of roller skates.

Posted on January 28, 2009 by yankeebean

yankeebeanThis isn’t some kind of secret code like ‘the duck quacks thrice as the key turns’, it’s almost a proven fact!

Fact 1 – One of my struggles with living here is the sheer length of time it takes to connect to English people on any deep level (especially the lovely UK- lady-peeps).

Fact 2 – I got a pair of retro pink rollerskates for Christmas

Fact 3 – Nobody is socially shy or awkward if at least one person involved is wearing roller skates

I really don’t know what it is, but when I go roller skating, everyone seems inspired to chat!

Maybe it’s low-pressure because I’m rolling around so much that I don’t stay in any one place for very long.

Maybe it’s because I’m not very good at it, so people think I need help and encouragement (true and true).

Maybe it’s because I have a big dumb grin on my face the whole time because IT IS SO FUN (but that can’t be it, cos I have a big grin a lot of the time anyway).

Anyway,  I don’t care why it happens, I just love that it does.  So if you’re looking to break the slightly-thicker English ice, go and get yourself a pair of these puppies!

(and don’t forget the knee pads and helmet!)

• No Related Posts

1. Pingback: How To Make Friends and Influence People (English Style!) | She's Not From Yorkshire

2. Pingback: Everyone jogs in the South West of England… but I’m tired. « She’s not from Yorkshire…

3. Love this blog! March 13, 2009 at 9:44 am

This was hilarious!!!!! You rank among the coolest people I’ve never met!

4. yankeebean January 30, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I think I’m beginning to see the beginning of some kind of American’s-who-rollerskate club forming. Let’s do this!!!

I don’t know about teaching anyone ‘killer moves’, though Pacificyorkshirebird :) Unless you want to learn moves that might ACTUALLY kill you. I spend most of the time flailing around and hooting… it’s SO FREAKIN FUN!!!! Highly recommended!

5. pacificyorkshirebird January 28, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Hi Yankeebean – That is a great idea! Will you teach me some killer skating moves? I hope you meet lots of people with the same zest for life that you have! And then introduce me and Peaceful to them too. :)

6. Iota January 28, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Go you!

7. Karen January 28, 2009 at 3:47 pm

You manage to hit the nail on the head all the time! :) One of the frustrating things for me when I was in England was, as you say, the sheer length of time it takes to connect to someone, and then, buy the time they decide to let down their guard, you realize, “OMG, I don’t even like this person!”. ;)

I could try the roller skates when I get back there, but have decided instead to lower my expectations of making friends in the first year or so to nil. That way, no frustration and I can just chill at my brother’s house in Worcestershire.

8. peacefulyorkshire January 28, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I have to admit how tempted I was by your adorable little skates and your grand idea. I had this image of us surrounded by Brits. We would then be laughing and the sun would be shining, with rainbows over the park. Ice lollies would be in the scene too. Instant friends!! heck, I ll start a skating club!!

But then reality struck and I imagined broken wrists and skinned knees. Chavs would be chasing me for a cigarette. And then I would roll straight into the Duck pond….the water freezing, of course… haha