The mantra of an American in Britain: I'm ok… I'm ok… I'm ok…

Posted on December 17, 2008 by yankeebean

yankeebeanAs an American woman in Britain, I’m constantly saying in my own head – “I’m ok”.

Whenever I speak a little loudly and people turn to look at me like I’m a 10-car-pile-up — “I’m ok”

Whenever I walk up to someone, try to shake their hand, and they pause as if wondering if I’m contagious — “I’m ok”

Whenever I laugh loudly (or normally, as I would call it) at someone’s joke and they’re eyebrows twitch ever so slightly – “I’m ok”

I’m actually thinking of having a t-shirt made… anyone else want one?

1. peacefulyorkshire January 20, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Hi Alex–
    oh I can see how confused you could be..
    Here in Britain, people say “Are you ok?” as a greeting which translates to “How are you?”.
    If you don’t know the translation, you might be annoyed. When I first moved here I wanted to say “Why, don’t i look okay?” I am FINE!
    Hope that clears things up… if not, maybe you just need to be in Britain to understand the context…;)

2. Alex T January 10, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I stumbled across your website by accident and have enjoyed it immensely. But I’m afraid I don’t understand the situation over “ok”. Is it something Brits just don’t say? Is it offensive over there?

3. J January 8, 2009 at 3:13 am

This made me laugh because my boyfriend (from England) is constantly asking me if I’m ok.

4. peacefulyorkshire December 21, 2008 at 2:16 am

maybe people just look at you funny because your a breath of fresh air… and its just unexpected….??

But, yes, I constantly have to keep myself “ok” and accept that I am American and just do things MY WAY. And thats OKAY!

5. pacificyorkshirebird December 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Yes – I also say “I’m ok” outloud when asked “you alright?”

May I also have a t-shirt that says “I can smell your cigarette from all the way over here.” I always think that when someone is smoking within 100 yards of me. I don’t think they know how far that smell travels.

6. Iota December 17, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I’d prefer one with “I’m ok” over one that had “I’m good” on it.