Someday…I'll stop blaming being an American in Britain
Posted on December 11, 2008 by peacefulyorkshire
Us three gals at ‘Shes not from Yorkshire’ like blogs.. and I am guessing you do too?
I was reading the popular blog Zen Habits yesterday, and came across the provoking post, Someday Syndrome. Oh readers, Oh readers, Oh dear, It has got me thinking… do I suffer from “Someday Syndrome’ here in the UK… because I use the scapegoat that I am an American in Britain?
Someday Symptoms for me includes putting off certain things that I wouldn’t have put off in America– because I still feel like an “outsider” a lot of the time. I realise I do this because by being an “outsider” its easy to blame your foreign-status for not getting anything done. After all, living abroad is harder than living in your home country so I definitely procrastinate.
These are my top reoccurring “Someday Syndromes” as an American in Britain:
- Someday I will start filing my American Abroad tax forms, probably when I want to move back.
- I cant find a Bikram yoga class in Yorkshire so I cant do yoga as much now, but someday I will find a new yoga class to chill out in.
- English women are hard to understand, and I get lonely, but someday I will make friends.
- The weather is rainy/horrible so I can’t run or bike, and I have gained weight, but someday I will get used to the rain and will try again to get back in shape
- I have some really horrible looking manky furniture in my flat, and it bothers me, but someday I will make a trip to IKEA to sort it out
- Buying a flat would make me feel more settled here, and someday I’ll start saving.
- I haven’t had a dental appointment in a while, and I know I should go to the dentist, someday I’ll find an NHS dentist
I have lived in Britain now almost 5 years and I still am “Somedaying” these issues!