Ginger Minger

Posted on November 18, 2008 by pacificyorkshirebird

What is the problem with being ginger (or red hair as it took me some time to figure out)?  It seems there is some deeply rooted disdain towards gingers.  So much so that I know an entire group of people who won’t admit that their friend is ginger.  Ok, his hair is strawberry blonde (not fully red) but they insist he is blonde only.  What is this all about?

It it inexplicable to the point of being ridiculous.  In fact, some Americans pay a lot of money to have beautiful red hair!  Ok, so it is mostly American women but I’ve never had a conversation with an American woman about whether we’d refuse to date a man because he had red hair – never ever.  Maybe the odd ‘Firecrotch’ got giggled about at school, but that was the full extent.

I think it’s all Rick Astley’s fault.  Poor gingers.  I know the British are famous for being equal opportunity offenders… It seems gingers get the short end of the ‘taking the mickey’ stick.

1. pacificyorkshirebird September 8, 2009 at 4:35 am

Hi Kneazle1 – Thanks for the info. It is always nice to learn a reason behind interesting British and American behaviours. I think red hair is pretty and striking too!

2. Kneazle1 September 7, 2009 at 9:50 am

Red hair has been thought of as unlucky historically, those with red hair were often persecuted as witches. It was often thought of as a witches mark and a sign of the devil. Probably because it is quite rare. It may also be because a fair amount of red heads in Britain have Scottish heritage in their dim and distant past, from the highlands who were thought of as wild and barbaric by the English. Personally I love red heads (my boyfriend is ‘strawberry blonde’) and several of my friends purposely dye their hair red! It’s an unusual and striking colour and I love it.

3. yankeebean November 22, 2008 at 7:49 am

Think I’ll just leave you to it, flamebrain! My brother’s a red-head and he’s one of the nicest and funniest guys I know…

4. flamebrain November 21, 2008 at 3:02 pm

BNP? More like NGP Party (No Gingers Please)!
    I call out to you fellow blog readers, we must unite on both sides of the atlantic, we must take control of our species, join me, take arms its time for the trans atlantic ginger cull!!!

5. peacefulyorkshire November 20, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Flame brain,
    I am going to look for your name on the newly released BNP list! Oh wait, there it is… yep, it says Flamebrain alright….

6. flamebrain November 20, 2008 at 11:26 am

Hmmm, Zoe Cormier is ‘nearly’ a red head though….she has to make up a positive side to it all. Doesn’t her desire to be a full red head remind you of those strange, ‘gone a bit wrong’, people that write to murderers in prison?
    All the same, I do admire her strong, up thinking attitude in the face of her genetical disability.

7. yankeebean November 19, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Flame brain : LMAO, that is HILARIOUS!! Maybe if WWIII breaks out they’ll make all the red-heads wear black wigs. Ha!!

My brother is strawberry blonde, too and he’s a total lady-killer in America. He was always being chased by some girl or another. But then he moved here and some girls (two, in fact), actually told him they couldn’t date him because he’s ginger.

He went back to America after about 6 months…

8. pacificyorkshirebird November 19, 2008 at 9:35 pm

See? It’s totally strange this attitude about red hair. I like this explanation: http://zoecormier.wordpress.com/2007/07/21/the-lunacy-of-the-british-part-4-gingers/

9. flamebrain November 18, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Gingers? Oddest thing? On the contrary. I would have thought it obvious, they just..well…look wrong! You can spot one from a mile away. Believe me, the next time were all under land attack the last thing you’ll want running beside you with the bombers overhead is glowing red shining beacon of a ginger minger!

10. peacefulyorkshire November 18, 2008 at 3:37 pm

This has surprised me too–! in America having red hair never got the same grief as it does here–
    One British man told me he can’t stand the way gingers smell…. I was like ummm okayyyy…. and he was serious!!
    Its racism in a new way, isn’t it?
    Oddest thing!