Top 25 Lists
Posted on November 8, 2008 by peacefulyorkshire
Its a fresh beginning, a grand-opening blog celebration!! Shes not from Yorkshire has been going for about one week now.. And in that span of time we have had around 400 hits! That’s far more then us 3 gals EVER expected! Today let’s celebrate our freedom to rant, cry and rave about English life!!
This following list was written by siubhal the writer of another great wordpress blog over at http://siubhal.wordpress.com/2006/12/25/what/
I love their list! They write:
“So every thing went peachy on the way home (this is a false statement, but i don’t want to get into it. i made it home in one piece, and that’s what counts). I’ve been back in my native land for two weeks now, and its still a little strange. I’m not adjusting completely because I know that I will be leaving it again soon and returning to England. In the time that I have been here, however, I have noticed a few things, some of which may be a bit amusing…I have compiled 25 of them in list form…
- There are not nearly enough sheep in Minnesota
- The Royal Mail beats United States Postal Service, hands down
- After London, any “large” city seems absolutely tiny
- Its hard to switch between British Pounds and American Dollars because American bills are all the same size and colour.
- People look at you strange when you say “cheers” instead of “Thank You”
- The phrase “Happy Christmas” is not in common usage in the States
- “Pence” and “cents”- though similar in sound- are not interchangeable. Cashiers in America look at you strange if you confuse them
- America as a country, territorially, is big. Very, very Big.
- Other patrons in a store or restaurant give you strange looks and murmur amongst themselves if you exclaim “6 Dollars? That’s only 3 Pounds!”
- Americans aren’t nearly as well-dressed as the English are.
- Music by British bands sounds better in its home country. The same goes for music by American bands
- As good as they can be, potatoes can get old.
- Its much easier to keep a dorm room clean than a bedroom
- Fine American chocolate is inferior to even the cheapest European chocolate
- Its nice to have more than 5 novels at one’s disposal
- Free Laundry is a girl’s real best friend. Sorry, diamonds, but this is the way it has to be.
- Depictions of London in movies or television shows are much cleaner than the city really is
- Every city needs a subway system like the Tube
- Despite how awesome British public transport is in comparison to American public transport, they all still complain about how much it is lacking
- Over-the-counter medications are awesome and I love being able to buy them
- The word “queuing” and its various other incarnations, does not occur as often in American conversations as it does in British Conversations
- Everything in American is very, very new
- Americans are hopelessly infatuated with the workings of English society
- England and America are much to far away. 8 hours on a plane kills the soul
- English accents never, EVER, get old
Most of these have some sort of story to go along with them, and in time i may annotate this so that you can understand, but not right now, cause its time for me to sleep…”